March 5th, 2017
TONIGHT!! On Sunday March 5th, 2017, 35MM screens all over the world will champion the beautiful, yet rapidly vanishing, format of film. REEL FILM DAY is the first ever celebration of all things 35MM, where cinemas across the country will serve to galvanize the most passionate film fans all across the US, and at least for one day revive a format to which every cineaste is indebted. The Frida Cinema is proud to fire up our 35mm projected once again for a special screening of Stanley Kubrick’s horror masterpiece THE SHINING! Advance tickets now on sale at https://boxoffice.printtixusa.com/fridacinema/movies.
Widely considered to be one of the scariest movies of all time – even recently being voted the #1 Scariest Film of All Time by Entertainment Weekly – The Shining is an adaptation of Stephen King’s 1977 novel of the same name. For his film, Kubrick took the basic premise of King’s book – that of an alcoholic writer named Jack Torrance struggling with writer’s block, who takes a temporary job at the remote Overlook hotel as it’s caretaker over a long winter – and spun his own nightmarish version of it. Trapped miles from civilization, along with wife Wendy and young son Danny, Jack is slowly driven mad, either by the spirits in the hotel itself or by his own mind – or both – and begins a terrorizing rampage against his own family as the spirits of the hotel begin to reveal themselves one by one…
Although The Shining remains one of Kubrick’s most iconic films, the movie was met with only decent success when released in 1980, and a divided critical reception. Thirty-seven years later, it is hailed as a masterpiece of the genre, with a celebrated and oft-quoted turn by Nicholson as the Overlook’s caretaker, and incredible supporting turns from Shelly Duvall, Scatman Crothers, and young Danny Lloyd.
We thank Warner Bros. for providing us with one of their archived 35mm prints for this special presentation!
35-cents of each ticket sold will be donated to The Film Foundation, an organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of cinema, ensuring its survival for future generations. Learn more at http://www.film-foundation.org/
- RuPaul’s DragCon 2017 - Get Tickets Now Hunty! Saturday-Sunday, April 29-30, 2017 - LA Convention Center
- Party Girl (1995) In Person - Daisy von Scherler Mayer, Guillermo Diaz - Thursday, April 27, 2017 - Linwood Dunn Theater
- Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: Exclusive Theatrical Release! Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - The Frida Cinema
- MovieDude18 Presents: Mortal Kombat! In Person - Paul W.S Anderson, Robin Shou, Linden Ashby, Chris Casamassa - Live Q/A - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - Chinese Theatres
- John Waters signs Make Trouble! Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - Book Soup
- Perversion - Back From The Dead - Thursday, April 20, 2017 - Boardners
- WARLOK (Epilogue) - Thursday 4/20,2017
- Cheech & Chong’s Up in Smoke - Thursday, April 20, 2017 - The Frida Cinema
- Planet Queer: Space Riot - Monday, April 17, 2017
- 20th Annual Easter Walk - Fundraiser AIDS Care Program - Sunday, April 16, 2017 - Silver Fox
- Easter Sunday at The Queen Mary - Sunday, April 16, 2017
- Donnie Darko + director Richard Kelly Live! Sunday, April 16, 2017 - Aero Theatre
- Easter Eggstraveganza - Sunday, April 16, 2017 - Anaheim Indoor Marketplace
- Superman (35mm) / The Day The Earth Stood Still - Sunday, April 16, 2017 - Egyptian Theatre
- Part Time, Cones, Palm Springsteen, Lisa Sonoda - HM157 - Saturday, April 15, 2017