March 28th, 2009
Join the Impact Responds to the Call for DayOfDecision.org Co-Sponsors
NATIONAL - In the near future, the California Supreme Court will announce its decision on whether or not to repeal Proposition 8. The ruling could come down as early as this week, and as late as June 5th. When this time comes, it will either be a moment of protest or celebration for the LGBTQ community. To respond to both possible outcomes, grassroots activists Robin Tyler and Andy Thayer are calling for Day of Decision activities across the US. Join the Impact and many other national organizations are adding their support and resources to the national effort.
“We have over 200 amazing organizers across the country who are eager to respond to Proposition 8″ says Willow Witte, co-founder and Executive Director of Join the Impact. The California Supreme Court will give 24 hours notice before reading its decision, but Witte is confident that with proper planning, 24 hours will be enough time for organizers to rally their base.
“I’m hoping that the day is one of celebration in the streets,” says Amy Balliett, co-founder and Communications Director of Join the Impact. “If it is not, then the California Supreme Court will set an unhealthy precedent in this country; One that allows the majority to vote on the rights of the minority, and take a minority out of the Constitution.”
Along with their organizers, Join the Impact has also lent its virtual organizing platform to the mix by re-creating their November 15th Wetpaint tool for DayOfDecision.org. This tool (http://dayofdecision.wetpaint.com), will allow organizers to update their city pages with event information, and will allow all who sign up the chance to be notified of their city’s actions almost immediately.
Robin Tyler and Andy Thayer are seasoned activists when it comes to events like this. They called for national action by organizing celebrations in 50 cities for the Federal Supreme Court Day of Decision regarding Lawrence v Texas, the decision that struck down sodomy laws across the nation. Tens of thousands of activists were on the streets, from Alaska to Hawaii to Puerto Rico and all over the mainland. Robin Tyler has been the main stage producer for 3 marches on Washington and she and her partner, Diane Olson were the first lesbian plaintiffs in the California Supreme Court Marriage Equality case in 2008. They are also petitioners in the recent California Supreme Court case to overturn Proposition 8.
To get involved in Day of Decision activities, go to DayOfDecision.org and sign up to organize. To stay informed about a local Day of Decision event in your area, go to http://dayofdecision.wetpaint.com and navigate to your state and then city pages to stay informed. Joining the site will put you on the national mailing list to receive a call to action the day the decision is read.
- RuPaul’s DragCon 2017 - Get Tickets Now Hunty! Saturday-Sunday, April 29-30, 2017 - LA Convention Center
- 47th Annual CSU Long Beach Puvungna Pow Wow - Saturday-Sunday, March 11-12, 2017
- Help Rebuild Anaheim White House and give support to Bruno Serato - Go Fund Me - Saturday, February 4, 2017
- Overrated! An Art & Film Tribute to Meryl Streep: Friday-Thursday, February 3-9, 2017 - Frida Cinema
- Wall of Resistance: A Post-Inauguration Rising Up & Reading - Sunday, January 22, 2017 - Clifton’s
- Women’s March Los Angeles - Saturday, January 21, 2017
- Women’s March on Washington - Orange County - Saturday, January 21, 2017
- Women’s Rally Pasadena - Saturday, January 21, 2017
- SEEDS Orange County - Saturday, January 21, 2017 - Frida Cinema
- United Against Hate-Inauguration March Los Angeles - Friday, January 20, 2017
- The Party by Ostbahnhof: Inauguration to the Resistance - Friday, January 20, 2017
- Fight the Power: Inauguration Night at Cinefamily! (Free w RSVP) Friday, January 20, 2017
- Anti Inauguration Performance and Fundraiser for Planned Parenthood - Friday, January 20, 2017
- Princess Leia is part of the Force. Carrie Fisher passes away at 60.
- Vote! Voter Guide - Tuesday, November 8, 2016