March 28th, 2009
Join the Impact Responds to the Call for DayOfDecision.org Co-Sponsors
NATIONAL - In the near future, the California Supreme Court will announce its decision on whether or not to repeal Proposition 8. The ruling could come down as early as this week, and as late as June 5th. When this time comes, it will either be a moment of protest or celebration for the LGBTQ community. To respond to both possible outcomes, grassroots activists Robin Tyler and Andy Thayer are calling for Day of Decision activities across the US. Join the Impact and many other national organizations are adding their support and resources to the national effort.
“We have over 200 amazing organizers across the country who are eager to respond to Proposition 8″ says Willow Witte, co-founder and Executive Director of Join the Impact. The California Supreme Court will give 24 hours notice before reading its decision, but Witte is confident that with proper planning, 24 hours will be enough time for organizers to rally their base.
“I’m hoping that the day is one of celebration in the streets,” says Amy Balliett, co-founder and Communications Director of Join the Impact. “If it is not, then the California Supreme Court will set an unhealthy precedent in this country; One that allows the majority to vote on the rights of the minority, and take a minority out of the Constitution.”
Along with their organizers, Join the Impact has also lent its virtual organizing platform to the mix by re-creating their November 15th Wetpaint tool for DayOfDecision.org. This tool (http://dayofdecision.wetpaint.com), will allow organizers to update their city pages with event information, and will allow all who sign up the chance to be notified of their city’s actions almost immediately.
Robin Tyler and Andy Thayer are seasoned activists when it comes to events like this. They called for national action by organizing celebrations in 50 cities for the Federal Supreme Court Day of Decision regarding Lawrence v Texas, the decision that struck down sodomy laws across the nation. Tens of thousands of activists were on the streets, from Alaska to Hawaii to Puerto Rico and all over the mainland. Robin Tyler has been the main stage producer for 3 marches on Washington and she and her partner, Diane Olson were the first lesbian plaintiffs in the California Supreme Court Marriage Equality case in 2008. They are also petitioners in the recent California Supreme Court case to overturn Proposition 8.
To get involved in Day of Decision activities, go to DayOfDecision.org and sign up to organize. To stay informed about a local Day of Decision event in your area, go to http://dayofdecision.wetpaint.com and navigate to your state and then city pages to stay informed. Joining the site will put you on the national mailing list to receive a call to action the day the decision is read.
- San Antonio Falls Exploration, Homeschool Family Field Trip Series - Friday, December 19, 2014
- Intro to Foraging at Falls Canyon, Santa Ana Mountains - Saturday, December 6, 2014
- Mountain Music Jam up Black Star Canyon Road, Santa Ana Mountains - Saturday, November 29, 2014
- Wild Bug Hunting & Eating (Entomophagy), Black Star Canyon, Santa Ana Mountains - Saturday, November 29, 2014
- Santiago Peak via Holy Jim on Black Friday, Santa Ana Mountains - Friday, November 28, 2014
- Happy Thanksgiving - Thursday, November 27, 2014
- In Plain Sight at Ormond Beach East, Oxnard - Saturday, November 22, 2014
- Irvine Mesa Loop Exploration (Silverado Canyon), Homeschool Family Field Trip Series - Friday, November 21, 2014
- Nocturnal Wildlife Watch in Anderson Canyon (behind Silverado Cafe), Santa Ana Mountains - Saturday, November 15, 2014
- Historic Hike to Harding Dam, Santa Ana Mountains - Saturday, November 15, 2014
- The Hole Hike up Black Star Canyon, Santa Ana Mountains - Thursday, November 13, 2014
- Veterans Day - Tuesday, November 10, 2014
- 2014 Election Guide - Tuesday, November 4, 2014
- Halloween - Friday, October 31, 2014
- Dia de los Verdes - Saturday, October 25, 2014