March 28th, 2009
Join the Impact Responds to the Call for DayOfDecision.org Co-Sponsors
NATIONAL - In the near future, the California Supreme Court will announce its decision on whether or not to repeal Proposition 8. The ruling could come down as early as this week, and as late as June 5th. When this time comes, it will either be a moment of protest or celebration for the LGBTQ community. To respond to both possible outcomes, grassroots activists Robin Tyler and Andy Thayer are calling for Day of Decision activities across the US. Join the Impact and many other national organizations are adding their support and resources to the national effort.
“We have over 200 amazing organizers across the country who are eager to respond to Proposition 8″ says Willow Witte, co-founder and Executive Director of Join the Impact. The California Supreme Court will give 24 hours notice before reading its decision, but Witte is confident that with proper planning, 24 hours will be enough time for organizers to rally their base.
“I’m hoping that the day is one of celebration in the streets,” says Amy Balliett, co-founder and Communications Director of Join the Impact. “If it is not, then the California Supreme Court will set an unhealthy precedent in this country; One that allows the majority to vote on the rights of the minority, and take a minority out of the Constitution.”
Along with their organizers, Join the Impact has also lent its virtual organizing platform to the mix by re-creating their November 15th Wetpaint tool for DayOfDecision.org. This tool (http://dayofdecision.wetpaint.com), will allow organizers to update their city pages with event information, and will allow all who sign up the chance to be notified of their city’s actions almost immediately.
Robin Tyler and Andy Thayer are seasoned activists when it comes to events like this. They called for national action by organizing celebrations in 50 cities for the Federal Supreme Court Day of Decision regarding Lawrence v Texas, the decision that struck down sodomy laws across the nation. Tens of thousands of activists were on the streets, from Alaska to Hawaii to Puerto Rico and all over the mainland. Robin Tyler has been the main stage producer for 3 marches on Washington and she and her partner, Diane Olson were the first lesbian plaintiffs in the California Supreme Court Marriage Equality case in 2008. They are also petitioners in the recent California Supreme Court case to overturn Proposition 8.
To get involved in Day of Decision activities, go to DayOfDecision.org and sign up to organize. To stay informed about a local Day of Decision event in your area, go to http://dayofdecision.wetpaint.com and navigate to your state and then city pages to stay informed. Joining the site will put you on the national mailing list to receive a call to action the day the decision is read.
- Q&A with Alexei Romanoff: the 1960s fight for gay rights in Silverlake - Monday, July 18, 2016
- Rainbow SHIFT 2.0 - Friday, June 24, 2016
- WIG OUT Party! OC Pride Week at Tin Lizzie Saloon - Monday, June 20, 2016
- Teach Your Children Well: Screening & Discussion - An LGBTQ Day of Honor of Orlando - Sunday, June 19, 2016 - Filmmakers Gallery
- Savage Circus - Saturday, June 18, 2016
- Trans Pride L.A. - Friday-Saturday, June 17-18, 2016
- An Evening of Remembrance and Healing - Long Beach - Thursday, June 16, 2016
- Jewels: We Are Pulse Fundraiser & Drag Show - Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - Hamburger Marys Long Beach
- Feminist Open Mic June 2016 - Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - Rainbow Juices
- Proud In The Park - Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - Plummer Park
- Los Angeles Rally and Vigil for Orlando - Monday, June 13, 2016
- West Hollywood Remembers Orlando - Monday, June 13, 2016
- Orange County 2016 Primary Election Voter Guide - Tuesday, June 7, 2016
- Happy Mother’s Day - Sunday, May 8, 2016
- Mother’s Day - Last Day of RuPaul’s DragCon - Sunday, May 8, 2016