March 28th, 2009
Join the Impact Responds to the Call for DayOfDecision.org Co-Sponsors
NATIONAL - In the near future, the California Supreme Court will announce its decision on whether or not to repeal Proposition 8. The ruling could come down as early as this week, and as late as June 5th. When this time comes, it will either be a moment of protest or celebration for the LGBTQ community. To respond to both possible outcomes, grassroots activists Robin Tyler and Andy Thayer are calling for Day of Decision activities across the US. Join the Impact and many other national organizations are adding their support and resources to the national effort.
“We have over 200 amazing organizers across the country who are eager to respond to Proposition 8″ says Willow Witte, co-founder and Executive Director of Join the Impact. The California Supreme Court will give 24 hours notice before reading its decision, but Witte is confident that with proper planning, 24 hours will be enough time for organizers to rally their base.
“I’m hoping that the day is one of celebration in the streets,” says Amy Balliett, co-founder and Communications Director of Join the Impact. “If it is not, then the California Supreme Court will set an unhealthy precedent in this country; One that allows the majority to vote on the rights of the minority, and take a minority out of the Constitution.”
Along with their organizers, Join the Impact has also lent its virtual organizing platform to the mix by re-creating their November 15th Wetpaint tool for DayOfDecision.org. This tool (http://dayofdecision.wetpaint.com), will allow organizers to update their city pages with event information, and will allow all who sign up the chance to be notified of their city’s actions almost immediately.
Robin Tyler and Andy Thayer are seasoned activists when it comes to events like this. They called for national action by organizing celebrations in 50 cities for the Federal Supreme Court Day of Decision regarding Lawrence v Texas, the decision that struck down sodomy laws across the nation. Tens of thousands of activists were on the streets, from Alaska to Hawaii to Puerto Rico and all over the mainland. Robin Tyler has been the main stage producer for 3 marches on Washington and she and her partner, Diane Olson were the first lesbian plaintiffs in the California Supreme Court Marriage Equality case in 2008. They are also petitioners in the recent California Supreme Court case to overturn Proposition 8.
To get involved in Day of Decision activities, go to DayOfDecision.org and sign up to organize. To stay informed about a local Day of Decision event in your area, go to http://dayofdecision.wetpaint.com and navigate to your state and then city pages to stay informed. Joining the site will put you on the national mailing list to receive a call to action the day the decision is read.
- Robert Garcia’s 36th Birthday Bash Fundraiser - Friday, December 6, 2013 - New Hamburger Mary’s Long Beach
- The Hole Hike up Black Star Canyon, Santa Ana Mountains - Friday, December 6, 2013
- Happy Thanksgiving - Thursday, November 28, 2013
- Happy Chanukah! Wednesday, November 27, 2013
- Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor - Happy 50th Anniversary! Saturday, November 23, 2013
- Long Beach Comic & Horror Con - Saturday-Sunday, November 23-24, 2013
- Trabuco Creek Scramble and Falls Canyons with John, Santa Ana Mountains - Saturday, November 23, 2013
- Veteran’s Day - Monday, November 11, 2013
- BENT-CON - Friday-Sunday, November 8–10, 2013 - Los Angeles Burbank Marriott Convention Center and Hotel
- Haunted Mountain Music Jam up Black Star Canyon Road - Friday, October 25, 2013
- Tarantula Trek - Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - Black Star Canyon
- Mountain Music Jam up Black Star Canyon Road - Friday, August 23, 2013
- The B Side will return soon.
- OC Pride - FREE! Saturday, August 10, 2013 - Santa Ana
- MIKEY & TEDDY COMEDY HOUR - Sponsored by LYFT - Friday, August 2, 2013 - Fubar